There is something buzzing at the gym… lots of chatter, a little smack talk and some serious efforts being made by our Captains to get everyone signed up for the CrossFit Open this year! So what in the world is going on?
This year we are taking the spirit of the CrossFit Open and bringing it in-house by forming teams comprised of our 1420 members! Each week the Open WOD’s will be done at the gym and every time you complete one of those workouts, you are giving your team a point! But more about the teams and scoring later… let’s talk about why you should sign up for the Open in the first place.
- It’s FUN! There’s just something exciting about Friday Night Lights at 1420. Getting everyone together to encourage each other through some of the toughest workouts that CrossFit can throw at us. And then enjoying the celebration after you’ve completed it!!
- ANYONE CAN DO IT. Really! Since 2015 there has been a scaled division in the Open. This is great because whatever level you are, each workout can be scaled to suit you, yet still lets you compete. Whether that means working with an empty bar or doing jumping pull ups instead of muscle ups… it doesn’t matter. You still get the chance to workout, enjoy the atmosphere, sense of community and measure your times against others at your level.
- TAP INTO YOUR COMPETITIVE SPIRIT. We are all competitive in different ways and to varying degrees. If you are one of our top athletes, then the Open lets you compete against the best from our area, country and other potential Regional athletes. If you are new to CrossFit, the Open will enable you to see how you are doing against many other newcomers from all around the world, challenge yourself to try new movements and allow you to record your workouts to look back on in years to come.
Registration for the Open can be done at games.crossfit.com and then choose CrossFit 1420 as your Affiliate. Once you are registered online, you can choose which team at our gym that you would like to “join”. They’d all love to have you! Our teams are:
- Gym Class Heroes – Captains Caitlin Rolens & Bryan White
- We’re just here for the Tacos – Captains Denise Fierros & Javier Tello
- Beauties, Beasts & Bengay – Captains Vickie Beggs & Chris Brown
- Jacked in the Box – Captains Maggie Dean & Katie Scott
Ok, so this all sounds like fun and games but how does a team win?
This is NOT about being the best in the gym. This is about coming together as a community to compete, grow and challenge ourselves while having some fun along the way!
+1 Point – Attendance: every member of a team that completes an Open workout at 1420 each week earns one point. Maximum one point per athlete per workout. This goes for Rx AND Scaled competitors!
+1 Point – Top 3: every male AND female member who places among the Top 3 at 1420 for each workout (Rx only) gets an extra point for their team.
+5 Points (team) – Spirit: The team with the most noise, pride, and PRESENCE each week will receive 5 bonus points.
We’ll have some random drawings for prizes that could include gear, supplements, goodies from the 1420 Pro Shop. The top team will also earn a GRAND prize. Details on that later!
Register online at the CrossFit Games site, and let’s get this party started! The Open officially begins February 23rd.